Choosing Your Maternity Wrap DressWritten by simplymaternity on Thursday 7th of July 2011
The maternity wrap dress is ideal for a multi functioning style outfit that can be dressed up or dressed down with differing accessories, shoes and hairstyles and is one of the most popular styles of maternity dress on our site.
The V style neckline of the traditional wrap dress provides definition to your bust and draws attention up your body line giving you a longer sleeker look during your pregnancy accentuating your assets and giving you a neat, comfortable silhouette.
Traditionally cut just on the knee, the wrap cut flatters your bump and skims your body to provide a tailored look that is still extremely comfortable.
Choose from block colours that will accentuate the length of your body and provide a more tailored look or opt for bold patterns for a more fun special occasion dress that is going to add colour and fun to this design.
Look out for:
- Dresses with an adjustable tie under the bust or on the wrap itself so that your dress will expand with you during pregnancy and then reduce again after the birth to provide you with a flattering style that you can wear until you are back in your standard clothes.
- Jersey or material with added extra stretch to provide a flattering but comfortable fit.
- Ruched sides which will provide side detail drawing the eye across your body and giving you the room to expand into your dress as your pregnancy progresses.
- Differing length sleeves for differing seasons and occasions. Remember you will be warmer during your pregnancy that at other times due to the increased blood in your system so thinner layers that you can add and remove easily will work better than one thick layer which will not be so easy to adjust.
- Breastfeeding design incorporated into the dress which will making nursing easier and more convenient.
- High heels and sparkling jewellery for night or special occasion.
- Broad rimmed hats or fascinators look great with a wrap dress as they provide further balance to your figure and extend your body length further.
- Or add a scarf or sash under the bust and tie at the side or back to create eye catching detail which could add colour or sparkle to your outfit.
- Use wedges and oversized bags for a funky day look
- Or keep simple with court shoes for classic maternity work wear adding a maternity blazer for a more formal, corporate look.
- For a standard wrap dress that is going to be both versatile and comfortable, opt for a brand such as Marks and Spencers or for something with a bit more colour, look to Dorothy Perkins for a splash of colour and pattern in your dress.
- If you are looking for something a bit more special, look out for dresses from Crave Maternity or Isabella Oliver that is going to look and feel incredible during your pregnancy.